I’ve been trying to have a as-keto-as-possible diet (ie convenient and lazy keto), but truth to be told, it’s often challenging for me. I’m Asian/Chinese, and with 2 young kids (4 years old and 2 years old at this point in writing), so:
- we have lots of carbs (think rice, bread, noodles in soup or dry forms)
- the kids love my spaghetti bologna
- I LOVE MY BURGERS, bun and all
- …and I find it hard to discard food
So for #4, what I do is that I try to eat keto-ish food for meals with them eg I’d cook my eggs with shredded parmesan (gosh, I love me some cheese), and then I’ll eat with them during dinner which weekdays are tingkat (1 soup, 1 vege, 1 meat and 1 more fish/seafood/tofu dish), and I usually struggle when they don’t finish their meal (we don’t force them to eat up everything), so…I tend to struggle with finishing leftover.
Weekday mornings are easy, cos I just take
- 3 fried eggs
- 1 pan fried tofu
- 1 cup of teh si kosong (no sugar)
And that’s good to go.
Table Of Contents
Recently I’ve been thinking that keto only works when one is in ketosis. It’s a ketogenic-metabolism driven lifestyle, and if I’m out/not in ketosis often…then what’s the point? Lazy keto also at least has some ketosis.
Perhaps, during this season of my life, it’s a little hard due to having 2 young kids?
I also started re-reading articles on Tim Ferriss’ Slow Carb Diet (SCD), and also there are hundreds if not thousands who lost a bunch of weight (and kept them off). What was more fascinating to me about this slow carb diet is:
Tim Ferriss WAS on keto diet for 2 years, 1998 to 1999. He then switched/tested/?invested slow carb diet and has been on it since 2000 (that’s 18 years at this point in writing) – I am questioning why (Tim Ferriss to me is always very functional and life hacker style, there must be a reason.
Another thing is that I don’t want the keto issues:
- having to pee on dipsticks to ensure ketosis or don’t go into keto-acidosis
- keto flu
- keto breath
- I did wonder if having lower energy is result of not being in ketosis
I dug a little more into slow carb diet, and I realize it’s sort of a lazy keto-ish diet, a variant? of sorts, because it advocates:
- OK to fish, meats, seafood
- OK to greens and vege
- NO to fruits
- OK to introduce some slow carbs eg legumes, sweet potatoes but big NO to white carbs like flour, bread, pasta, rice
- NO drinking calories (up to 1-2 cups of wine daily is ok, 1 can of diet soda allowed per day), drink lots of water
- NO dairy eg cheese (except cottage cheese), milk, soy – any dairy
- eat slowly ie 30 min per meal
- generally low carbs and high proteins and some fats
I will miss my dairy and cheese cos I love them both, but he explained that dairy and soy may influence our metabolism, so I am interested to check that out if dairy has been messing with my body.
I’m not a big fan of legumes and beans though I’m aware that having some calories from there may increase my energy, but I don’t crave it or think my energy is too low, and I’m cautious of stomach gas/discomfort but I am open to try it.
Slow carb diet doesn’t count calories so I like it because I’m bad with counting calories (lazy too) and that it will mean I don’t go hungry (yesssss). I don’t really eat much fruits though I do buy some for kiddos and wifey, but I don’t crave them (thank goodness).
The slow carb diet as according to Tim also says to not overexercise, ie not more than 30 min per day or something, so I may have to scale back some (nah, will keep exercising haha, but I’m not a super crazy exercise guy).
I’m currently 36 years old and 90-95 kilograms, and I think my healthy weight range is between 70-80 kg, so I’m targeting a 15 kilogram weight loss over the next 1 year (assuming I weight 95 kg today). I want to be leaner, with less flab, more tight/cut body, sharper mind and more confidence too body wise.
Keep you posted =)
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.