Welcome to my home on the internet.
My name is Nigel, and I am an entrepreneur, passive income investor, hand therapist, father and editor of this site.
This blog has been around since 2009, which makes me oooooooold…long story short, a quick summary of nigelchua.com and me is:
- We need to become financially free as early as possible to unlock the next level of living be it to pursue projects, people and the lifestyle we love
- For this to happen, we need to be very deliberate in building streams of business passive income and/or investment passive income needs to be the core focus in all our business and money decisions; as well as optimizing and being careful with unnecessary expenses
Table Of Contents
Like really, really, sort out your money.
Yeah, just like that.
The standard stuff that’s being preached a long time ago (or at least, the assumptions that’s being taught) is that life is hard, expensive and “life’s like that”, so that’s why you need to keep working, save hard for your kids education, get as much coupons / discounts and work till 65+ and whatever leftover, that goes into your retirement.
And pray that nothing goes wrong in your 40+ years of career that will hopefully saved enough to enjoy retirement.
If not, work longer loh.
Nah, that’s just average, dumbed-down advice, which reeks of wastefulness, often spending money because one is lost and unhappy.
An “easy” but basic way to shortcut this is summarized in these 4 steps:
- Kill off your major unnecessary expenses that doesn’t help you improve your life. This should save you at least 10-25% of your income.
- Split the savings into 3 segments:
- one portion into learning how to build business passive income
- one portion investing into assets that provides you investment passive income
- one portion as emergency savings
- As your business passive income grows, split the profits into 3 segments
- reinvest a portion of profits into growing business
- take a portion for yourself to enjoy
- take a portion to invest into assets that provide you investment passive income
- Continue steps 1-2-3 continuously
Guess what people do when they’re unsure?
When people are uncertain or are overwhelmed, they just do nothing.
One year goes by, and nothing changes.
They keep doing the same thing, tolerating the same shit and hope that something improves next year. I call bullshit.
Don’t do that – that’s a recipe for disaster, especially shit hits the fan and something bad happens such as losing jobs, health crisis etc.
To make things worse, they’re likely not prepared ie dont have safety nets such as emergency funds, savings or alternative income sources. Bad idea.
My dad died suddenly at 59 years old in 2014, and he thought nothing would happen to him, so he didnt have good personal insurance and stopped company insurance that costs him a couple of bucks a month. If he didnt do that, we’d have unlimited health coverage for him, plus in the event of his untimely death, my mum would have been placed on a program that’d pay her thousands a month. All didnt happen because he thought it wouldnt happen to him.
Now, at 40 today, I’m grateful that my living and lifestyle expenses are being paid for by my business passive income and investment passive income streams.
I want to retire early (max 45) to spend my younger years
- dating and having more good and sexy times with my wife
- being with the kids as they grow up
- still do cool stuff I love whilst I’m still young
- travel and see more of the world that God made
That’s why I’m so passionate and excited to continue building my passive income streams =)
How nigelchua.com started
As shared early, I started this blog in 2009.
It started off being a personal blog where I document my observations, experiences, adventures and lessons on business and personal life.
For a long time, it remained this way.
As I got older with more experiences and and focused more, I realized that I have been consistently speaking about a few core things:
- passive income, passive income streams, passive income lifestyle
- retiring early
Which is my main focus all these while – all my actions since I was a student has been consistently leading and gearing towards this.
I’ve been perplexed whenever I see friends, families and colleagues live ridiculously expensive lifestyles thinking those lifestyles were normal – it’s ludicrous when I observe people people complain about how expensive shit is and how difficult life is whilst…wait for it
- whilst spending money in expensive restaurants.
- whilst constantly upgraded their phones, cars and homes.
- whilst taking multiple trips per year to both escape their boredom, stress and jobs as well as to upload to social media on how good their lives are.
This was all fascinating to me, because…it’s counterproductive!
Like if you think life is difficult and expensive, then why are you not doing stuff to improve it? Why do slap-on-temporary-but-useless tactics, when the more important thing to do is the most important thing?
It’s either people like to complain, or are lying to me, or are not dealing with the core issues.
I prefer to be more deliberate with what I do with my time, business and investments.
- Which led me to starting my business in 2008, so I can learn how to earn more than my $1700/month, despite not having any business degrees or experience
- Which led me to learn how to build and grow my business from a startup to 5- then 6- then 7-figure one over a 5 year period (learning leadership, management, marketing, scaling etc)
- Which led the business to being acquired for a sweet 7-figure deal
- Which led me to learn more about investing for investment passive income
- Which led me here, and I’m still here.
…and that’s why I am focusing on this blog to show how you can sort out your savings, investments and early retirements, based on your own numbers and expectations.
To be able to create a life that you actually want, and it’d be faster than you think.
I write about money, cashflow and financial freedom to retire as early as possible; to get money out of the way as early as possible and never have to worry about money again
Origin Story (Nigel)
I’m Nigel Chua, and I was born to a humble and middle-class family in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.
I have been living in Singapore since 2002. By training and experience, I am a hand therapist.
I am married to a wonderful wife Louise, who is the love of my life, and my business partner as physiotherapist in our jointly-owned physiotherapy business in Singapore. We also have beautiful children we thank God for =)
I’m a family guy (I like staying home haha and nature), and I love God and Christ.
Hawker foods with wok-hei are the absolute best, and I enjoy lifting weights (
oh I miss the gym – especially now so with COVID restrictions. Update 2021: joined a gym and have been hitting the gym 2+ times a week. Wonderful stuff.)
I enjoy reading.
And of course, I enjoy having, building and enjoying streams of recurring passive income.
After making business passive income and investment passive income since 2010, passive income still makes me smile.
I grew up in a family of 4 siblings, I have an older brother and two younger sisters, and we are fairly close. My childhood days were simple and happy, and I’ve a family I love to no end, and they love me – we were very happy and led simple lives.
Our parents love us lots, and want the best for us – after all, which parent didn’t want the best for their children, right? I love both my parents deeply, and have deep gratitude for providing me with the base for my future.
Yet, opportunities seem limited, and money was tight.
From a young age, I experienced firsthand how poor money management and not having cashflow-giving assets can cause stresses to the family. I had front row seats of money fights, and I mediated for many of such fights from 8+ years old onwards.
It was these experiences that made me make a promise to myself that I will not make the same money mistakes as them
I learnt then that
- it seemed easy to “blame” the lack of money and each other but these aren’t the real problems
- biggest issues we had was poor money habits, poor financial communication and poor financial intelligence
What drives me a lot to obsess and think deeply about passive income, earning more and entrepreneurship is the intense emotional pains that I remember:
- I could remember the number of days and nights of intense arguments about the lack of money, the tears that my mum would cry tears of frustrations (including my dad)
- I did not taken an airplane until I was 24 years old and had already graduated from my studies and started to earn some income.
- My parents had to “ration out” who can get luxuries eg they could pay for the sister’s flight and holiday and not for us boys because we were working but the girls werent (which really hurt because I too was struggling financially when I graduated in 2005, and continued to struggle until 2015)
- Our family “holidays” aren’t holidays – they’re basically family obligations such as family drives to visit our grandparents in another state in Malaysia
- mum asking for the remainder scraps from vegetable vendor to cut grocery costs
- we ate the same food most of the time
- going through the days and nights and weeks where my parents would fight over the lack of money
- 8+ year old me mediating their fights
- 27-year old me noticing how there is a game in offices and workplaces on how some individuals can game the system and the bosses, getting promotions and increments despite doing poorer work…and being born into “better” families and having “better” opportunities
These are observations as I look back – as I said, we were happy even when we didnt have much, and made do.
We moved to Johor when I was 6 years old, close to primary 1, to get a better life and position (later in my 30s I would find out that my dad was moved to Johor because of office politics and sabotaged which detracted his career advancement for 10+ years).
The few things that firmed up my belief on pursuing entrepreneurship, earning more and living a better life includes:
- when my dad Daniel Chua died at 59, it was the year he was about to retire. He looked forward to retirement. And I looked forward for my business to grow so I can spend time with him. This still breaks my heart so.
- I dont want to play the game of office politics
- when my first kid was born, I knew that I need to show them a better way of life and not to repeat history
- when my kid asked me when they could spend time with me, because I was always working and hustling
Background, Failures and Achievements
- 2008 – “Woke up” at 27 years old, realizing that I was doomed to repeat the vicious cycle unless and until I improve to take on good success and money habits. This led me to quit my job as I was tired of the politics and rubbish game at work, to start my own freelancing therapy business: grew my personal take home from $2000 to $4800 within ONE month – that’s 2400% improvement literally over a month
- 2008-2009 Observed the game of freelancing, and decided to go up the ladder vertically – saved money to launch our first clinic (2009), which failed. Got sad.
- 2009 – Continued freelancing with wife who then joined me.
- 2010 – Started our next clinic, this time, it’s a one room clinic. The doctor landlord played me out, by not giving or allowing me a rental contract – he got rid of me over another tenant who wanted the whole space. I lost my clinic and patients overnight. I was sadder this time.
- 2011 – Got out third opportunity, opened a 2-room clinic in Orchard Paragon. CEO promised me many things which didnt come to pass, but I honed my skills of sales and marketing – built up our caseload from scratch with no support but had to exit due to the many internal issues and politics and powerplay. Depressed for a few months.
- 2012 – 4th time is the charm: we worked closely with a GP group and this time, it worked. We grew the business from 2 person, to 3, to 5, to 10, to 15 to 20+. And revenues from 4 figures a month all the way to 6-figures.
- 2014 – Got acquired for a bittersweet 7-figure deal (end of the year) with a 3 year bond.
- 2015-2019 – After finishing my bond by end 2017 and observing through the years the office politics and game, I disliked it and refuse to engage or play that game. So when God called me out of there, at 2017, I exited and took a 18 month sabbatical where my wife started her own clinic with 2 other partners who unfortunately couldn’t last group practice (eventually leaving to become solo practitioners). Wifey invited me to her clinic in June 2019 where I am still serving as a principal hand therapist as well as sales and marketing director.
- 2019-Present – In the first 18 months where I served as sales and marketing director, I grew the business 233% revenue wise, added one more clinic location (and more to come), grew the team’s size and capability as well as help drive more business leads and patients to our therapists who in turn earn more. I am certain I will be adding more growth, clinics, clinicians and revenue to the practice.
I know I enjoyed serving my therapists and helping many of them build their lifestyle therapy practices, where they
- can earn up to 6-figures per year
- work at their own time and target (based on what is available)
- take off whenever they want to just by blocking off their own slots
- just see patients and go home
- minus all the politics, toxicity and games
Today I still serve there but also am wanting to create an additional passive income online stream to help myself, my clinicians and non-clinician family and friends to build their passive income lifestyles by becoming Passive Income Entrepreneurs.
I will take the same philosophy, approach, sincerity and leadership to guide and help you earn $100-$500+ and more (eventually $1000++ a month) online or freelancing.
Tribute To Creator God
Patterns and principles to personal development, progressive living, life, and success are not entirely my own, despite the fact of me ruminating, seeking understanding and wisdom, the revelations and epiphanies that arrive in my head.
They were set in motion way before I was born, and will continue to be here way after I’m long gone from the earth.
These patterns and principles are set in place by a Creator God. The only thing people can do is to either discover and acknowledge them, ignore and dismiss them, or perverse them.
Perverted principles lead to perverted lifestyle and living.
Living by good and timeless principles always leads to personal development, power, prosperity and peace, nations and societies to flourish and grow.
The ultimate standards of human behaviors, rules and principles are found in the words of this Creator God, in the Holy Bible.
This is more than opinion, it is my personal belief, upon which I’ve based more than thirty years of my life (as of 1982) and my future and all eternity.
You are free to form your own ideas and opinion.
The world’s greatest book for learning successful living, personal development, prosperity and progressive living is not in any textbooks or handouts or courses, but in the Bible.
We’re all free to choose today because we’re given free will at the point of creation.
Our freedom of choice is the true freedom that we have – we can choose to to ignore this power and live as though we have no choices, or we can live empowered and live life with choices.
The greatest choice a person will make in this world is what they will do when they leave this world. I take on a verse in the Book of Ecclesiastes “A wise man thinks much of death, while the fool thinks only of having a good time now” (Ecclesiastes 7:4).
The principle herein is,
- “what is your exit plan today?”,
- “think of the end first but start at the beginning” and
- “bearing in mind our end goal as we live day to day.”
When we have a job, we think first of how we want to get a promotion, think of the strategies and plans and actions we need to take consistently to get a promotion.
In the same understanding, when we plan and prepare for our own lives, we must look at and to what we want at the end of our lives to determine what kind of lives, strategies and plans we need to choose and how we live it.
I believe the bible leads us to right choices, good principles and good patterns to successful, peaceful and prosperous living.
If you’ve never read one, I encourage you to invest in one and read it today (or you can access one online, free of charge at Bible Gateway). Read it, and learn to live it.
If you hadn’t received Christ, and would like to do so, you can do it right now. Simply open up year heart and mind, and say this:
Jesus, here I am.
I am not perfect, and have done some wrongs in my life, and from the bottom of my heart, I choose to repent.
I also choose to follow you, and I invite Jesus into my life, right this moment.
Thank you for dying on the cross for me, and I look forward to a journey with you.
To start off, you can start reading a bible by either buying a physical one (I use both the New King James Version and The Message Bible), but for more convenience, you can use www.BibleGateway.com.
I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions that you have on Christianity and spirituality, on top of other personal development and business-related questions – connect with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where To Next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to Homepage of nigelchua.com
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to the products and services I use to improve business, relationships, health and more.
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.