Table Of Contents
I write about important topics to help individuals and parents to build lives they love and become persons they are proud of.
I want to bring clarity to individuals in this noisy and open-ended world, that can cause people to become confused and lost. It doesn’t help that important topics are not discussed regularly enough (perhaps, it’s the busy-ness of survival or culturally it’s just difficult).
My personal goals of happiness and success
For me, to succeed is to achieve and maintain states and seasons of
- peacefulness (calm, contentment, peace within and without)
- happiness (less negative stuff and more positive stuff)
- flexibility (having options)
For nigelchua.com to impact 1 reader a day positively, inspiring them to improve their lives better, a day a time.
Personally for me, I feel that I want and need the “larger parts of life” to be at least more settled before I can breathe better or even live better. I don’t need $100M, but I do have a list of criteria, which includes achievement and fulfillment of at least comfortable living across these general areas:
- Passive income of at least $2000 / month
- Healthy without any major health conditions, diseases or illnesses
- Generally happy relationships with myself, spouse, children, family, friends, colleagues
- Profitable businesses with good work culture
- Flexibility to take time out, to be generous, to be kind, to smile, to be patient etc
There’s a lot more if I dive deep, but that’s me at a glance.
About Me (Short Version)
I’m Nigel Chua, and I was born to a humble and middle-class family in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.
I’m a family guy (I like staying home haha and nature), and I love God and Christ. I enjoy simple hawker foods, and lifting weights (oh I miss the gym – especially now so with COVID restrictions). I enjoy reading. And of course, streams of recurring passive income.
My childhood days were simple and happy, and I’ve a family I love to no end – we were very happy and led simple lives. We had a few faults but the biggest issues were basically the lack of money. Or one can say it’s poor money habits and poor financial intelligence.
They love us lots, and want the best for us – after all, which parent didn’t want the best for their children, right?
Yet, opportunities seem limited, and money was tight.
What drives me a lot to obsess and think deeply about passive income, earning more and entrepreneurship is the intense emotional pains that I remember:
- I could remember the number of days and nights of intense arguments about the lack of money, the tears that my mum would cry tears of frustrations (including my dad)
- I did not taken an airplane until I was 24 years old and had already graduated from my studies and started to earn some income.
- My parents had to “choose” who can get luxuries eg they could pay for the sister’s flight and holiday and not for us boys because we were working but the girls werent (frankly I too was struggling financially till about 10 years after graduation)
- Our family “holidays” aren’t holidays – they’re basically family obligations such as family drives to visit our grandparents in another state in Malaysia
- mum asking for the remainder scraps from vegetable vendor to cut grocery costs
- we ate the same food most of the time
- going through the days and nights and weeks where my parents would fight over the lack of money
- 8+ year old me mediating their fights
- 27-year old me noticing how there is a game in offices and workplaces on how some individuals can game the system and the bosses, getting promotions and increments despite doing poorer work…and being born into “better” families and having “better” opportunities
But I’m not complaining – as I said, we were happy even when we didnt have much, and made do.
We moved to Johor when I was 6 years old, close to primary 1, to get a better life and position (later in my 30s I would find out that my dad was moved to Johor because of office politics and sabotaged which detracted his career advancement for 10+ years).
The few things that firmed up my belief on pursuing entrepreneurship, earning more and living a better life includes:
- when my dad died at 59, the year he was about to retire. He looked forward to retirement. And I looked forward for my business to grow so I can spend time with him. This broke my heart so.
- I dont want to play the game of office politics
- when my first kid was born, I knew that I need to show them a better way of life and not to repeat history
- when my kid asked me when they could spend time with me, because I was always working and hustling
Background, Failures and Achievements
- 2008 – “Woke up” at 27 years old, realizing that I was doomed to repeat the vicious cycle unless and until I improve to take on good success habits. This led me to quit my job as I was tired of the politics and rubbish game at work, to start my own freelancing therapy business: grew my personal take home from $2000 to $4800 within ONE month – that’s 2400% improvement literally over a month
- 2008-2009 Observed the game of freelancing, and decided to go up the ladder vertically – saved money to launch our first clinic (2009), which failed. Got depressed.
- 2009 – Continued freelancing with wife who then joined me.
- 2010 – Started our next clinic, this time, it’s a one room clinic. The doctor landlord played me out, by not giving or allowing me a rental contract – he got rid of me over another tenant who wanted the whole space. I lost my clinic and patients overnight. I was sad but saw this.
- 2011 – Got out third opportunity, opened a 2-room clinic in Orchard Paragon. CEO promised me many things which didnt come to pass, but I honed my skills of sales and marketing – built up our caseload from scratch with no support but had to exit due to the many internal issues and politics and powerplay.
- 2012 – 4th time is the charm: we worked closely with a GP group and this time, it worked. We grew the business from 2 person, to 3, to 5, to 10, to 15 to 20+. And revenues from 4 figures a month all the way to 6-figures.
- 2014 – Got acquired for a bittersweet 7-figure deal (end of the year) with a 3 year bond.
- 2015-2019 – After finishing my bond by end 2017 and observing through the years the office politics and game, I disliked it and refuse to engage or play that game. So when God called me out of there, at 2017, I exited and took a 18 month sabbatical where my wife started her own clinic with 2 other partners who unfortunately couldn’t last group practice (eventually leaving to become solo practitioners). Wifey invited me to her clinic in June 2019 where I am still serving as a principal hand therapist as well as sales and marketing director.
- 2019-Present – In the first 18 months where I served as sales and marketing director, I grew the business 233% revenue wise, added one more clinic location (and more to come), grew the team’s size and capability as well as help drive more business leads and patients to our therapists who in turn earn more. I am certain I will be adding more growth, clinics, clinicians and revenue to the practice.
I know I enjoyed serving my therapists and helping many of them build their lifestyle therapy practices, where they
- can earn up to 6-figures per year
- work at their own time and target (based on what is available)
- take off whenever they want to just by blocking off their own slots
- just see patients and go home
- minus all the politics, toxicity and games
Today I still serve there but also am wanting to create an additional passive income online stream to help myself, my clinicians and non-clinician family and friends to build their passive income lifestyles by becoming Passive Income Entrepreneurs.
I will take the same philosophy, approach, sincerity and leadership to guide and help you earn $100-$500+ and more (eventually $1000++ a month) online or freelancing.
Origin Story (Long Version)
I was born in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan (Malaysia) in 1982 to a middle income family. I grew up in a family of 4 siblings, I have an older brother and two younger sisters, and we are fairly close.
I love both my parents deeply, and have deep gratitude for providing me with the base for my future; and I saw firsthand how poor money management and not having cashflow-giving assets can cause stresses to the family.
We Had Constant Quarrels About The Lack Of Money, And What Money Goes Where, And From A Very Young Age, Around 10 Years Old, I Decided That I Will NOT Make The Same Money Mistakes As Them.
Do note that seeing and being part of this repetitive arguments since I was 5+ years old all the way till today has shaped a lot of who I am, what I believe and where I want to go, and where I DONT want to go or be. And that’s one of my driving factors – I know how bad it’d be if I left things to chance and if I don’t change or improve.
It was this seed that was sown into my heart that made me start to open my eyes, heart and mind to a better way of life, and it was not until much later in life that I realize I could change so much of myself for the better, and for a better future for myself, my wife, my family and more.
And I’m still growing!
I have been living in Singapore since 2002. By training and experience, I am a hand therapist.
I am married to a wonderful wife Louise, who is the love of my life, and my business partner as physiotherapist in our jointly-owned physiotherapy business in Singapore. We also have beautiful children we thank God for =)
I first started my business in 2008, providing therapy services, and to cut the long story short, we went through a lot of mistakes, good decisions and really good opportunities that enabled us to hustle from a $65 therapy start up to a 7-figure therapy business in Singapore.
We were acquired in 2015 and since then, I have been involved in scaling the business higher and greater than ever before: it is an amazing experience.
From 2014 onwards, I started studying, testing, experimenting and documenting my journey of making money online as well as dividend stock investing for passive income, and over time, as I got better at it, I started making more money online, and I thought to myself:
NigelChua.Com is dedicated to helping people diversify their income by starting offline or online business to create financial freedom for themselves and achieve balanced good success in their lives.
And that’s how it all started. If this sounds like something you’re interested in – I welcome you to join me, and let’s adventure together =)
The world is a big place and it can be overwhelming.
- what should I focus on?
- what should I do?
- where should I go?
- what happens if and when I fail?
- I’ve failed, and it hurts/sucks – what now?
Those are just some of the questions that can stop us in our tracks.
I get it.
- My first job was hard. My probation was extended and extended. My supervisor didn’t understand me or the shock that I was going through. Other bootlickers got promotions and increments after increments. But I couldn’t even pass my fucking probation.
- My relationships was terrible and dramatic, of extreme negative lows, jealousy, fighting, insecurity. I was the one who “always tolerated” and “always left behind”
- I was constantly broke and having to borrow just to pay the rent, and to eat cheap cheap food (I regularly bought cans of tuna to make multiple meals). My take home was about $1300 at that time, and I can say, after paying rent of $600, living on $700 was very, very hard. Was in perpetual credit card debt.
- My relationships with my parents were shit, and I didn’t want to meet them cos my life sucked and I was broke. I couldn’t take them to places to eat nor give them anything.
- In 2014, my dad died 17 days in a hospital, 9 months away from his retirement. This broke me and my entire families hearts. We still miss him today.
And there were many, many more examples of shit I went through.
Pretty sure it’s not just me.
I thought to myself and thought life was supposed to suck, and that’s the way my life is supposed to be. And hoped that “things get better”.
DEAD ON THE INSIDE AND QUARTER LIFE CRISIS AT 27
I continued this was of automatic / automated living, basically a reactive-passive approach to life, with learned helplessness, telling myself shit like “life’s like that” – a meaningless, floating-around kind of life.
I didn’t speak or share this with anyone (I didn’t know I could or should have talked to someone about this), but I was actually deeply unhappy, unfulfilled and clearly demotivated.
- Work sucked.
- Love sucked.
- Money sucked.
- Life just suck.
I was disgusted with myself, my life and the events that seem to plague me for years.
I know for sure I don’t want to continue living like that.
I was pretty much lost until my first “awakening”, when I was 27 years old, when I realized that I was living in a broken loop, of failures after failures, again and again. And what made me extremely unhappy was that it seems that I was DOOMED to repeat it again and again.
Unless I changed the decisions I made, and actions I take.
In this heightened awareness state, I asked myself, was there a hidden lesson that I was supposed to learn or something I’m supposed to do to “exit” this repeating hell?
That was in 2007.
I started to turn my life around, beginning in 2007, when I was 27 years old.
- I started devouring business, relationship, spiritual, marketing, finance and personal development books
- I quit my dead-end job and started my own business (which eventually grew to 7-figures per year, beyond my wildest dreams)
- I improved my relationships with my family and parents
- I got myself a serious relationship with a wonderful woman who loved me, believed me and now is married to me with kids. She’s also my wonderful business partner =)
Then my dad died. All of a sudden, after 17 days in a hospital. My father’s death in 2014 was pretty impactful on me – it woke me up to not waste time or get hung up on things that aren’t important (easy to say but stuff still gets to me of course).
Today, at 2019, years later, I’m still searching for ways to continuously improve myself.
I figured that I can get most of whatever I want…
- as long as I visualized and dreamt it (vision & dream)
- as long as I decided/determined it (will & decision)
- as long as I take massive and continuous actions that bring me closer and closer to the dream daily (doing & action)
…in life, business, finance, spirituality and all its subsets. Subsets are like the world of health, it can be about losing/gaining weight, getting rid of eczema/condition etc.
This open-endedness fascinated me endlessly – cos there’s so much I can improve, learn and do!
But at the same time, I figured that life is very open-ended, and there is both beauty and pain in that, because it’s so open-ended, some get very lost, some get very freaked out, and some coast, and some find life so beautiful, some come up as awe-inspiring winners.
BUT IS SUCCESS A LOTTERY SYSTEM? IS WINNING LUCK OF THE DRAW?
In some cases, it seems to be – being born into rich and powerful families…with lots of money and influence and the ability to get whatever you want.
But is that really the case?
It seems like it…until one realizes that being born into that family, may carry heavy expectations, be it:
- to act and behave a certain way
- to treat / use people a certain way
- must only participate in the family business
- must only marry/mingle with spouses the family chooses
Of course, being born dead broke into a family with extreme poverty has its fair share of shit too.
I’m just trying to show both sides of the coin.
What I’m trying to say is that, whatever you’ve been born/given/talented with, use it for the best you-and-your-gifts can be and bring to the world.
FROM LOST…TO FINDING SOME ANSWERS TO THE PUZZLE
After being utterly disgusted with my life, work, money and results – I finally snapped at 27 years old. It was my first awakening and such clarity came to me in the forms of basic understandings of how things work.
And how I can get more success, the kind of success that I want.
That was my first realization of heightened clarity and awareness.
I started to ask myself:
- what do I do
- why I do / did what I do
- where did those habits or actions come from
I realized that typically, there are two kinds of outcomes or results:
- Results we can control and influence.
- Results we can’t control nor influence.
And I also concluded that results that we cannot control nor influence – it’s an utter waste of time to bawl, bitch, focus or complain about it – the results of that won’t change – results we cannot control nor influence, do not waste time on that.
- other people’s reactions, thoughts, feelings (yes we can influence a little, but it’s not ours)
- governmental policies
- principles such as gravity, time
So that means that we can and should only focus on results or outcomes that we actually can control or influence. Examples of this:
- our own emotions
- our own thoughts
- our own energies
- our own goals
- our own plans
- our own desires
You’d see that the main thing that we truly can focus are ourselves, and hence the term “personal development” is 50% “personal” – it’s for us to learn and grow.
EXTREME OWNERSHIP, ACCOUNTABILITY, VISUALIZING, DREAMING, DOING AND PERSISTENCE IS THE ROOT TO SUCCESS
Owning our own
is the #1 way to grow, progress and develop in life.
Yes, I am not a completed work yet and I am still in the process of continuous growth and refinement. Refining, growth is an ongoing process.
It’s not rocket science, but it’s more of an intuitive approach to life, growth and personal development.
It is also a conscious process, and requires a lot of courage and mental, emotional and spiritual processing/awareness capability.
I want to win. I want to succeed. I want to grow.
First, I got tired of my own bullshit and excuses and shit.
So, I started fixing my life.
Then, I got tired of listening to my and my bosses’ bullshit.
I knew I was being marginalized, so I tendered. My intuition was right when I saw my ex-boss smiling upon receiving my resignation letter. Outcome? I found a freelancing job that gave me a take home of $4800 in the first month. That’s a whopping 369% improvement to my take home.
That got me started on my entrepreneurial journey, since 2008.
Created a business that earned more than $5M+ revenue generation, hiring 25+ individuals in the 10-years I was there, and I exited for my sabbatical and to focus on projects and people whom I loved.
Paid off my home with bit of cash leftover too.
I got tired of the roller-coaster relationship with my ex.
She made it “easy” in the sense she got married (it was sort of shocking cos we were in a on-off relationship), but it also shook me to wake up too. I found a wonderful woman who loved me but I also worked on becoming an awesome man, boyfriend and husband.
- meditating / praying
- going to church
- investing/building Passive Income Machines
- making decisions to love, respectful and gentle in my actions, projects
And much more.
I’ve co-founded several companies and sitting as board of directors and senior leadership in a number of them, and what I bring to companies and people is usually reflected in high performance with good, integrity, love, sincerity, openness and win-win culture. I will not tolerate even an iota of black or toxic practice or culture.
It’s all about good success, good growth, good values, good leadership and nothing less.
Tribute To Creator God
Patterns and principles to personal development, progressive living, life, and success are not entirely my own, despite the fact of me ruminating, seeking understanding and wisdom, the revelations and epiphanies that arrive in my head.
They were set in motion way before I was born, and will continue to be here way after I’m long gone from the earth.
These patterns and principles are set in place by a Creator God. The only thing people can do is to either discover and acknowledge them, ignore and dismiss them, or perverse them.
Perverted principles lead to perverted lifestyle and living.
Living by good and timeless principles always leads to personal development, power, prosperity and peace, nations and societies to flourish and grow.
The ultimate standards of human behaviors, rules and principles are found in the words of this Creator God, in the Holy Bible. This is more than opinion, it is my personal belief, upon which I’ve based more than thirty years of my life (as of 1982) and my future and all eternity. You are free to form your own ideas and opinion.
The world’s greatest book for learning successful living, personal development, prosperity and progressive living is not in any textbooks or handouts or courses, but in the Bible.
We’re all free to choose today because we’re given free will at the point of creation.
Our freedom of choice is the true freedom that we have – we can choose to to ignore this power and live as though we have no choices, or we can live empowered and live life with choices.
The greatest choice a person will make in this world is what they will do when they leave this world. I take on a verse in the Book of Ecclesiastes “A wise man thinks much of death, while the fool thinks only of having a good time now” (Ecclesiastes 7:4).
The principle herein is, “what is your exit plan today?”, “think of the end first but start at the beginning” and “bearing in mind our end goal as we live day to day.”
When we have a job, we think first of how we want to get a promotion, think of the strategies and plans and actions we need to take consistently to get a promotion.
In the same understanding, when we plan and prepare for our own lives, we must look at and to what we want at the end of our lives to determine what kind of lives, strategies and plans we need to choose and how we live it.
I believe the bible leads us to right choices, good principles and good patterns to successful, peaceful and prosperous living. If you’ve never read one, I encourage you to invest in one and read it today (or you can access one online, free of charge at Bible Gateway). Read it, and learn to live it.
If you hadn’t received Christ, and would like to do so, you can do it right now. Simply open up year heart and mind, and say this:
Jesus, here I am. I am not perfect, and have done some wrongs in my life, and from the bottom of my heart, I choose to repent. I also choose to follow you, and I invite Jesus into my life, right this moment. Thank you for dying on the cross for me, and I look forward to a journey with you.
There you go! To start off, you can start reading a bible by either buying a physical one (I use both the New King James Version and The Message Bible), but for more convenience, you can use www.BibleGateway.com.
Happy growing! I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions that you have on Christianity and spirituality, on top of other personal development and business-related questions – connect with me at email@example.com.
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?