Table Of Contents
About Me (Short Version)
I’m Nigel Chua, and I was born to a humble and middle-class family in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.
I’m a family guy (I like staying home haha and nature), and I love God and Christ. I enjoy simple hawker foods, and lifting weights (oh I miss the gym – especially now so with COVID restrictions). I enjoy reading. And of course, streams of recurring passive income.
My childhood days were simple and happy, and I’ve a family I love to no end – we were very happy and led simple lives. We had a few faults but the biggest issues were basically the lack of money. Or one can say it’s poor money habits and poor financial intelligence.
They love us lots, and want the best for us – after all, which parent didn’t want the best for their children, right?
Yet, opportunities seem limited, and money was tight.
What drives me a lot to obsess and think deeply about passive income, earning more and entrepreneurship is the intense emotional pains that I remember:
- I could remember the number of days and nights of intense arguments about the lack of money, the tears that my mum would cry tears of frustrations (including my dad)
- I did not taken an airplane until I was 24 years old and had already graduated from my studies and started to earn some income.
- My parents had to “choose” who can get luxuries eg they could pay for the sister’s flight and holiday and not for us boys because we were working but the girls werent (frankly I too was struggling financially till about 10 years after graduation)
- Our family “holidays” aren’t holidays – they’re basically family obligations such as family drives to visit our grandparents in another state in Malaysia
- mum asking for the remainder scraps from vegetable vendor to cut grocery costs
- we ate the same food most of the time
- going through the days and nights and weeks where my parents would fight over the lack of money
- 8+ year old me mediating their fights
- 27-year old me noticing how there is a game in offices and workplaces on how some individuals can game the system and the bosses, getting promotions and increments despite doing poorer work…and being born into “better” families and having “better” opportunities
But I’m not complaining – as I said, we were happy even when we didnt have much, and made do.
We moved to Johor when I was 6 years old, close to primary 1, to get a better life and position (later in my 30s I would find out that my dad was moved to Johor because of office politics and sabotaged which detracted his career advancement for 10+ years).
The few things that firmed up my belief on pursuing entrepreneurship, earning more and living a better life includes:
- when my dad died at 59, the year he was about to retire. He looked forward to retirement. And I looked forward for my business to grow so I can spend time with him. This broke my heart so.
- I dont want to play the game of office politics
- when my first kid was born, I knew that I need to show them a better way of life and not to repeat history
- when my kid asked me when they could spend time with me, because I was always working and hustling
Background, Failures and Achievements
- 2008 – “Woke up” at 27 years old, realizing that I was doomed to repeat the vicious cycle unless and until I improve to take on good success habits. This led me to quit my job as I was tired of the politics and rubbish game at work, to start my own freelancing therapy business: grew my personal take home from $2000 to $4800 within ONE month – that’s 2400% improvement literally over a month
- 2008-2009 Observed the game of freelancing, and decided to go up the ladder vertically – saved money to launch our first clinic (2009), which failed. Got depressed.
- 2009 – Continued freelancing with wife who then joined me.
- 2010 – Started our next clinic, this time, it’s a one room clinic. The doctor landlord played me out, by not giving or allowing me a rental contract – he got rid of me over another tenant who wanted the whole space. I lost my clinic and patients overnight. I was sad but saw this.
- 2011 – Got out third opportunity, opened a 2-room clinic in Orchard Paragon. CEO promised me many things which didnt come to pass, but I honed my skills of sales and marketing – built up our caseload from scratch with no support but had to exit due to the many internal issues and politics and powerplay.
- 2012 – 4th time is the charm: we worked closely with a GP group and this time, it worked. We grew the business from 2 person, to 3, to 5, to 10, to 15 to 20+. And revenues from 4 figures a month all the way to 6-figures.
- 2014 – Got acquired for a bittersweet 7-figure deal (end of the year) with a 3 year bond.
- 2015-2019 – After finishing my bond by end 2017 and observing through the years the office politics and game, I disliked it and refuse to engage or play that game. So when God called me out of there, at 2017, I exited and took a 18 month sabbatical where my wife started her own clinic with 2 other partners who unfortunately couldn’t last group practice (eventually leaving to become solo practitioners). Wifey invited me to her clinic in June 2019 where I am still serving as a principal hand therapist as well as sales and marketing director.
- 2019-Present – In the first 18 months where I served as sales and marketing director, I grew the business 233% revenue wise, added one more clinic location (and more to come), grew the team’s size and capability as well as help drive more business leads and patients to our therapists who in turn earn more. I am certain I will be adding more growth, clinics, clinicians and revenue to the practice.
I know I enjoyed serving my therapists and helping many of them build their lifestyle therapy practices, where they
- can earn up to 6-figures per year
- work at their own time and target (based on what is available)
- take off whenever they want to just by blocking off their own slots
- just see patients and go home
- minus all the politics, toxicity and games
Today I still serve there but also am wanting to create an additional passive income online stream to help myself, my clinicians and non-clinician family and friends to build their passive income lifestyles by becoming Passive Income Entrepreneurs.
I will take the same philosophy, approach, sincerity and leadership to guide and help you earn $100-$500+ and more (eventually $1000++ a month) online or freelancing.
Origin / Genesis Story (Long Version)
I was born in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan (Malaysia) in 1982 to a middle income family. I grew up in a family of 4 siblings, I have an older brother and two younger sisters, and we are fairly close.
I love both my parents deeply, and have deep gratitude for providing me with the base for my future; and I saw firsthand how poor money management and not having cashflow-giving assets can cause stresses to the family.
We Had Constant Quarrels About The Lack Of Money, And What Money Goes Where, And From A Very Young Age, Around 10 Years Old, I Decided That I Will NOT Make The Same Money Mistakes As Them.
Do note that seeing and being part of this repetitive arguments since I was 5+ years old all the way till today has shaped a lot of who I am, what I believe and where I want to go, and where I DONT want to go or be. And that’s one of my driving factors – I know how bad it’d be if I left things to chance and if I don’t change or improve.
It was this seed that was sown into my heart that made me start to open my eyes, heart and mind to a better way of life, and it was not until much later in life that I realize I could change so much of myself for the better, and for a better future for myself, my wife, my family and more.
And I’m still growing!
I have been living in Singapore since 2002. By training and experience, I am a hand therapist.
I am married to a wonderful wife Louise, who is the love of my life, and my business partner as physiotherapist in our jointly-owned physiotherapy business in Singapore. We also have beautiful children we thank God for =)
I first started my business in 2008, providing therapy services, and to cut the long story short, we went through a lot of mistakes, good decisions and really good opportunities that enabled us to hustle from a $65 therapy start up to a 7-figure therapy business in Singapore.
We were acquired in 2015 and since then, I have been involved in scaling the business higher and greater than ever before: it is an amazing experience.
From 2014 onwards, I started studying, testing, experimenting and documenting my journey of making money online as well as dividend stock investing for passive income, and over time, as I got better at it, I started making more money online. At the same time, as I learnt how to earn more, I realized I had more time to myself, to spend pursuing things that matter
- like how I’ve time to write on nigelchua.com, create videos, connect with like minded people
- spend time with my loved ones such as spouse, kids, family, close friends
- read books, exercise / gym
And that’s how it all started. If this sounds like something you’re interested in – I welcome you to join me, and let’s adventure together =)
I’ve co-founded several companies and sitting as board of directors and senior leadership in a number of them, and what I bring to companies and people is usually reflected in high performance with good, integrity, love, sincerity, openness and win-win culture.
I do not tolerate even an iota of black or toxic practice or culture.
It’s all about good success, good growth, good values, good leadership and nothing less.
Tribute To Creator God
Patterns and principles to personal development, progressive living, life, and success are not entirely my own, despite the fact of me ruminating, seeking understanding and wisdom, the revelations and epiphanies that arrive in my head.
They were set in motion way before I was born, and will continue to be here way after I’m long gone from the earth.
These patterns and principles are set in place by a Creator God. The only thing people can do is to either discover and acknowledge them, ignore and dismiss them, or perverse them.
Perverted principles lead to perverted lifestyle and living.
Living by good and timeless principles always leads to personal development, power, prosperity and peace, nations and societies to flourish and grow.
The ultimate standards of human behaviors, rules and principles are found in the words of this Creator God, in the Holy Bible. This is more than opinion, it is my personal belief, upon which I’ve based more than thirty years of my life (as of 1982) and my future and all eternity. You are free to form your own ideas and opinion.
The world’s greatest book for learning successful living, personal development, prosperity and progressive living is not in any textbooks or handouts or courses, but in the Bible.
We’re all free to choose today because we’re given free will at the point of creation.
Our freedom of choice is the true freedom that we have – we can choose to to ignore this power and live as though we have no choices, or we can live empowered and live life with choices.
The greatest choice a person will make in this world is what they will do when they leave this world. I take on a verse in the Book of Ecclesiastes “A wise man thinks much of death, while the fool thinks only of having a good time now” (Ecclesiastes 7:4).
The principle herein is, “what is your exit plan today?”, “think of the end first but start at the beginning” and “bearing in mind our end goal as we live day to day.”
When we have a job, we think first of how we want to get a promotion, think of the strategies and plans and actions we need to take consistently to get a promotion.
In the same understanding, when we plan and prepare for our own lives, we must look at and to what we want at the end of our lives to determine what kind of lives, strategies and plans we need to choose and how we live it.
I believe the bible leads us to right choices, good principles and good patterns to successful, peaceful and prosperous living. If you’ve never read one, I encourage you to invest in one and read it today (or you can access one online, free of charge at Bible Gateway). Read it, and learn to live it.
If you hadn’t received Christ, and would like to do so, you can do it right now. Simply open up year heart and mind, and say this:
Jesus, here I am. I am not perfect, and have done some wrongs in my life, and from the bottom of my heart, I choose to repent. I also choose to follow you, and I invite Jesus into my life, right this moment. Thank you for dying on the cross for me, and I look forward to a journey with you.
There you go! To start off, you can start reading a bible by either buying a physical one (I use both the New King James Version and The Message Bible), but for more convenience, you can use www.BibleGateway.com.
Happy growing! I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions that you have on Christianity and spirituality, on top of other personal development and business-related questions – connect with me at email@example.com.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.