I started a sabbatical earlier this year to spend time with family, children, read books, pray, and explore online publishing (more details on sabbatical experience here).
Even prior to the sabbatical, we have cut out as much unnecessary expenses as possible and try to make it a lifestyle of consuming only what we need instead of buying-whatever-we-feel-like-buying.
(Side rant: I’ve met too many people who mortgage their financial future by buying stuff with FUTURE income eg using credit card to secure credit card debts, home loans, car loans, education loans, renovation loans, holiday loans, whatever loans – some basic loans can be required to progress in life and earn more such as education loan which I can understand…but getting loan for holiday? For shopping? No way amigo.)
Table Of Contents
ADDITIONAL COST CUTTING MEASURES IMPLEMENTED SINCE SABBATICAL STARTED IN 2018
1. Cutting down taxi rides, especially if it’s less than 2 persons traveling (ie if it’s me alone or at most with one per person, we can take the bus and train)
2. Eating out less or when necessary (again, especially if I’m alone. If have to eat out, the cheapest available or go home and eat).
3. Cutting down the intensity of air-conditioning at home to “dry” (rather than cool) and around 25 degrees to create a cooling environment rather than cold, and everyone share the AC (instead of AC in every room).
4. Eating lesser (at least for me) cos I started the 16:8 intermittent fasting, my window-period of eating is between 12 PM to 8 PM, this cuts out one additional meal for me (breakfast) and snacking after 8 PM, so this cuts some costs for me
(eg if I used to take eggs for breakfast, I may have lunch outside around SGD 5 per meal, but now I take eggs for lunch, so there’s that).
5. Doing free-ish activities egReading
Creative play (artwork, writing)
Free-for-entry museums and events
Church (free entry)
The only things that cost money for #5 is transportation and food (with family; if it’s me alone, I’d travel and eat cheaper)
6. Cutting down costs of fruits: I found a great fruit shop in Hougang where the fruits are easily 50% cheaper than in NTUC.Examples are buying an entire small watermelon for SGD 1.50 (where I saw in NTUC in the same day going for SGD 4.95); honeydew for SGD 2, mangoes/dragon fruit for 50c to $1 one etc
7. Buying less junk food such as chips, ice cream (or when need to buy, buying the cheaper alternative but not overly-bad-cheap)
8. I recently bought 25 black round neck t-shirts at AUD 5 per shirt (great quality, cooling, sports); 3 nice burms at AUD 10 per piece and more KMart Australia, which I’ve been using every day
9. Using/re-using clothing, bags and shoes for as long as we can – I like to wear as long as I can, ideally until they wear out. As far as I know, my immediate family aren’t really impulsive fashion shoppers ie HAVE to buy clothing that looks nice on us…
And those are some of the stuff that we do that have become our lifestyle.
NEXT STUFF TO TRY TO CUT OUT MORE UNJOYFUL UNNECESSARY EXPENSES
High on this list is we’re considering porting our lines from M1 to Circle.Life, and right now I am studying the available packages vs our actual utilization.
As I have 5 lines with M1 to enjoy a phased-out group discount of 35%, I originally didn’t want to get rid of any lines or port out to another provider…but Circle.Life may give Singapore Telcos a run for their money and offers.
Update you soonest.
Do you have any ideas for me as to how to cut down any costs further?
Wealthy Affiliate – My…
Assets Pay For Lifestyle And…
I Decided To Learn More A…
Make Money Online Singap…
Happy 36th Birthday To Me
How To Avoid Scams Online…
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.