Yeah, seriously – it was in my mind for the past couple of weeks. I liked how WordPress looked, and its Categorization and Tagging and Related Post function – it made things prettier, especially for blogging.
I mean, the idea did come across once in a while after I ported NigelChua from WordPress to Solo Build It, but the last 2 weeks, man, it was a little more intense haha – perhaps, it’s from the re-thinking, re-imagining, re-focus and re-calibration here to focus back on my deeper love, which is
- passive income
- early retirement
- financial independence
But what put the idea of porting back to WordPress to rest was:
Table Of Contents
- 1 #1 I SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED ADDTHIS RELATED POST FUNCTION TO NIGELCHUA!
- 2 #2 I REMEMBER THE PAINS RELATED TO SELF HOSTED WORDPRESS
- 3 IT BOILS DOWN TO YOUR NEED AND FOCUS
- 4 JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
I SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED ADDTHIS RELATED POST FUNCTION TO NIGELCHUA!
It’s not as pretty or as savvy as WordPress’ version, but to me, it’s already a very strong upgrade because I felt that having this Related Post function (thanks to AddThis – it’s free!!) increases:
- relevance to readers/audience, who may want to read a related article to the current article that they’re reader
- stickiness as readers/audience continues to read and spend time on the site
Thank you AddThis and Jacki from SBI who advised me.
I REMEMBER THE PAINS RELATED TO SELF HOSTED WORDPRESS
There are quite a number of pains related to self-hosted and self-managed WordPress
It’s a little technical on setting up. I mean it’s not rocket science, but you will need to be patient enough to sign up for a hosting account (I recommend Bluehost, which I still am a user since 2010) and pay for that account (usually between USD 3-10 per month, you can go with the cheapest one to test and try first).
Then you will need to get a domain name, and pay for that (between USD 7 to 20), pay for it.
Then you got to install WordPress (or whatever operating stuff to run it eg Joomla or something – WordPress is the easiest).
Then let’s talk about maintenance.
Your WordPress site is “held together” and needs widgets for it to run well (much like most smartphones today) – so you will need to keep finding, downloading, upgrading/updating them to see which works best for your WordPress sites (which frankly sometimes you can’t tell the difference).
The most important to me is two fold in this issue of maintenance
- security issues – if any of your widgets is outdated (even if it’s not truly your fault but the fault of the widget developers who may have failed to update it), there can be a security gap.
- you need to install and ensure strong security widgets to ensure protection against malicious people/hackers/bots who will try to hack through your login (see my post on people trying to breakthrough my WordPress logins here and my #1 issue on using WordPress)
The most important of all, all these technical maintenance and stuff, will take time from what is most important for you: taking time away from your core business/work/key performance indicator. It’s like me running a business but trying to make my own paper or staples.
And then, you must know, WordPress may seem cheap in the beginning ie:
- USD 4/month webhosting
- USD 12/year domain name
Only USD 60 per year!!!
Well, that’s just at the beginning.
Say if your business does well, then:
1. you will need to start upgrading your hosting plans to deal with increased visitors (can be anything from USD 10 per month all the way to USD 50-100 per month…and Solo Build It can take more than 1M visitors per month without increasing any costs to you)
2. you will definitely start and keep buying widgets/functions, which can be once-off costs or recurring costs, which is anything from USD 10-500+ per month…and again, Solo Build It doesn’t have
There are many upsides to WordPress, don’t get me wrong:
- easier to outsource as most developers know WordPress
- easier to hire designers/individuals to maintain/handle/grow WordPress-based sites
- cheap to start off with
IT BOILS DOWN TO YOUR NEED AND FOCUS
Why I still stay with Solo Build It since 2010 is…
1. Because it works. It works beautifully for me (despite its limited themes and clunky-looking design lol)
2. It takes away distractions of having to worry about security, manage widgets and keeping up to date with tech and tech issues – I just keep focusing on my core and what’s important.
3. I just want a small little gig of my own, and the cost is capped at USD 299 per year (or USD 30 per month) which is important because I dont want my expenses to keep raising year on year, I want to keep it simple and low.
To me, that’s easy, simple, reliable and works.
I Decided To Learn More A…
Wealthy Affiliate – My…
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, plus building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
Nowadays I share and teach entrepreneurship, financial independence, retiring early as well as building and living a life you love.
Where To Next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to Homepage of nigelchua.com
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to the products and services I use to improve business, relationships, health and more.
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.