I get asked:
- how to start a business
- what kind of business to start
I find this is the easiest part of any business, because I’ve so many business ideas that I dont have the time or energy to do them all.
All you need is to find your first paying customer.
Your website doesnt matter.
Neither does your business name.
Or how you look on a social media site.
Or if your business card looks okay.
Those are just busy stuff, and not as important, in fact those are distractions.
It doesnt matter what business you’re entering.
- Lawn care
- Car detailing
- Baby sitting
- Pet sitting / walking
What I’d do is to reach out to my network and make an offer
And see who is interested.
An example template.
- text / call / message / blurb on social media / neighbourhood and say this
- I’m thinking of doing this, and what I’m offering is this service for this outcome
- do you know anyone who would want me to do this
Let’s apply this to lawn care / grass cutting
- text / call / message / blurb on social media:
- Hey I’m Nigel, I’m starting a grass cutting business, and I’ll keep your grass at a nice trim length; and get rid of all your weeds. All for X dollars.
- Do you know someone who’d like that?
- Bonus: throw in first session for free (sales and marketing)
Try that with other niches or business ideas, whichever you’re more interested in.
Once you get your first paying customer, you’re in business baby.
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, plus building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
Nowadays I share and teach entrepreneurship, financial independence, retiring early as well as building and living a life you love.