My rule to quick fast side hustle ideas:
- Low barrier for entry: doesnt require you to buy equipment that costs more than $1K
- No special skill: doesnt require you to study years for a license, the skill needs to be learnable in hours
- Recurring: something that the clients will need on a recurring basis, 1/2/3/4x per month
- Scalable: not hard to hire someone to train and do the job
Today’s idea: car washing & waxing
- Low barrier for entry: car washing needs very little items – at least 1-2 pails, water, car wash detergent that costs less than $20, and cloth (or rags). Level up your services with car waxing and vacuuming the interior. Combined, they would cost less than $300, and you can provide THREE services this weekend.
- No special skill: You DONT need to train or study years to learn how to wash, wax and vacuum a car. Clean your own and some friends’ cars, and you’ve experienced.
- Recurring: 100% recurring business, possibly even 1/2/3/4 times per month, depending on how muddy the grounds were and how sparkly and clean they want their cars.
- Scalable: It’s definitely easy to hire and train technicians to wash, wax and vacuum cars for your clients; yes, lots of people would be happy to work for you as employees as you deal with growing the business and acquiring more clients. Bonus: there’s a lot more things you can do: motorbikes, vespa, vans, trucks, RV – so many possibilities!
How to get your first 3 car wash, wax and vacuum client?
This is the key to get your business started, and you can definitely just start off on weekends to keep your day job. Some ways you can start getting clients and leads:
- Look at your neighbourhood, and start there. Knock on your neighbourhood doors and tell them directly: “Hey it’s me, my name is ____ and I live in this neighbourhood. I am starting a car wash, wax and vacuuming business and my rate is $X. Would you be happy for me to do that for your car this week?” You can offer a bundle of 3 services for discount.
- Message a bunch of your closest buddies and ask them to refer someone, something like this: “hey, I’ve started a car wash/wax/vacuum business and I’m looking for clients who wants sparkly and clean cars, can you please refer a neighbour who’d love that? Sweeten this deal by offering a special deal to them for example: refer x number of clients and I’ll wash/wax/vacuum your car for free this month.
- Do the same on social media.
- Location bundle, if you already have a client scheduled for a date, reach out to the neighbours in the area and let them know that you have a client appointment on that date/time, and if anyone would want a session, then you’d be happy to do a bundle discount since you’re already in the area.
There’s more ways to grow your side hustle too, but start with these.
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, plus building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
Nowadays I share and teach entrepreneurship, financial independence, retiring early as well as building and living a life you love.