I hadn’t seen one of my patients for a very, very long time. Two whole months to be exact. For a patient with a hand injury, this can mean the undoing of months of rehab, and can be very detrimental to one’s rehab potential and function. Today, I managed to see him again, as we brought him back for a review.
I briefly spoke to him, and when I asked him what happened to him, he shared with me that he was away because he was busy handling the death of his youngest 18 years old son who had committed suicide just two months ago. I was horrified and mortified, and was very apologetic when he waved to me and said that he’s okay, he’d accepted it already.
Perhaps he has already grieved. Perhaps he expected it. Perhaps this is the power of the human mind and heart.
Whatever it was, it was only moments later where strong emotions surged into my being, and I was flooded with sense of grief, mourning and sorrow, for the loss of a son for my friend, and for the loss of a person to suicide.
He told me that his son had been struggling with depression for years. And suddenly what came to my mind was that I imagined that his son was probably feeling extreme helplessness, pain and sorrow for him to have made and carried out such a strong choice.
I am so sorry, my friend.
I am truly saddened, and grieve for your loss. Despite the fact that I’ve haven’t had any children of my own, and pets that have died cannot come close, yet, I am so sorry for your loss.
Alas, I think, the option of suicide is a permanent solution to a short term problem(s); not all problems are forever or long term, they are often short term and seems to imply or manifest itself as a critical, crucial and life threatening problem. I am not here to belittle anyone, nor am I here to bash suicides, to me, it is a very serious issue and I am in deep humility and respect for life.
I care for life. I am pro life. I believe and trust that being alive is everything, unless or until it is time to return to ashes and dust. I too, have contended with the idea of suicide, and twice, it was intense enough for me to bring a knife to my hands, but the most I could “achieve” was superficial, knife wounds that healed. There, I’ve said it. Unfortunately or fortunately for me, I was afraid of carrying it out, and I was afraid of deeper, permanent wounds and the actual potential of dying.
That’s when I stopped and realized that my fears were not as bad as I thought after all.
But that was then. I was probably more ill equipped as a late teenager, and with parents that didn’t really communicate very well to me, when both combined, it was a potentially lethal combination. Yet, I thank God I am alive, and I didn’t press in.
Over time, as I pondered about issues of life, of personal development, of progressive living, the meaning of life, I have come to cherish what I have. I cherish the people in my life, I cherish myself. I try to “stop” and take time out to enjoy the moment. To enjoy their company. Because I know and understand that life can and is more fleeting than I can ever imagine.
To me, life is very precious. Being alive is very important. Our problems are never permanent. Our past is never our future. Our potential is vast, and there is always more to life in living, loving and laughing. Of course there are sad and painful events, but I choose to take them as learning points that strengthen me emotionally, spiritually and mentally. Also, I realized that life, when lived experiencing both painful and joyous moments, we then appreciate more of things as they are.
Life truly is good. It is a great time to be alive. My heart goes out to you who may know someone struggling with depression and with suicide. Life will become better – it can only get better.
Table Of Contents
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.