A number of friends, family and colleagues asked me, what’s my secrets for a successful business, and after years of simple answering, I decided to think about it and collate to answer properly.
Apparently I only have six (6) secrets to the secret sauce of successful business. To me, these are my “open” secrets, of which is so obvious that people seem to gloss over or ignore, because it’s too basic or generic. I laugh…because like ANY sportsperson, you know it’s mastery of the fundamentals that overrule everything.
Much like how the pro-boxer runs and runs and runs; shadow box for hours, train their left jabs for hours, then their right for hours etc. Nothing fancy shmancy. I do them still because they work.
Table Of Contents
#1: Know Your Stuff
Ie you gotta know what you’re selling (products and/or services) inside out, so that you know the benefits so that when leads, prospects and clients ask, it’s easy to share with them and help them make a buying decision.
Also, by knowing the benefits of your services and products, it makes it easier for you as a business owner to streamline and target your marketing and sales channels (easier to identify who are your clients).
#2: Be On Top Of Your Business Too
Some business owners like to be busy in the business, and that’s not wrong, as long as you want to and are not forced to.
Being on top of the business allows you to see what’s working and what’s not working in the business (eg processes) and you can refine to improve the business from a process-standpoint.
#3: Delight Your Clients
This is a famous saying by Warren Buffett, where he shared “no business has ever gone out of business by delighting their customers” and this is 100% true.
You delight your clients by spending time with them, helping them, communicating with them, being sincere. If you mess up, admit it and make it up to them, be sincere and don’t treat them just like ATMs or cash cows, which is just being disingenuous.
Instead, I recommend you treat them like family, take good care of them, and they may just well become raving fans who comes back again and again, and recommends others.
But be sincere and do it well.
#4 Work hard and keep improving.
Hard work helps you get bloody good at what you do
Hard work helps you reach more clients
Hard work helps you expand your business
Hard work helps you get to where you want to be
There is no substitute for hard work, you’ve gotta keep progressing, punching and moving forward
#5 Simplify / One Core A Time
Do one thing very well first before offering another. What some businesses do is that they have too many offerings but nothing they specialize in,
#6 Push through + Persist
Success takes time.
Getting good takes practice and time.
Overcoming tough times takes time.
Sometimes you may need to persist through assholes, betrayals and criticisms too.
Sometimes you get good days, some days may be awful.
Sometimes you get tired.
Sometimes what you started may not be what you wanted or end up with.
Learn from mistakes, pain and lessons and use it to pivot and refine until you get to the path where you want.
Good times will come, and so will tough times – just roll and push through
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.