You know, I’ve been really good with my exercises this week.
I’ve jogged five days in a row, each time for around 30 minutes. Today, I went to the gym, totalling up a full six days of exercise – whew!
It’s an achievement for me, and I’d like to thank one of my buddies Eugene who both planted the idea and motivated me to start jogging again.
Actually, from 2002-2008, I was an avid jogger, averaging an estimated 30 – 40 kilometers of jogging every week. From 2002 – 2005, I was a student in school, with easy access to the school gym and track. From 2005 – 2008, I worked in a hospital in the rehabilitation department, and there were ample treadmills and exercise equipment. In both instances, it was ease of accesses and lack of barriers that helped fuel my jogging habit.
From 2008 – 2013, I had neglected my health, sidelining it as I placed my business Urbanrehab Pte Ltd as the top of the list. I ballooned from a swooning 75+ kg to a whopping 95+ kg. It became harder for me to walk up stairs, run after buses, talk and walk, or to participate in any form physical activities.
It’s been pretty tough actually, dealing with my declining health. I had a few health scares over the past couple of years, from a near faint incident in 2011 in Paragon after being stressed by the finance and CFO of a company we used to work with, to scoring a bad high score on my cholestrol check. The weight gain did nothing for my confidence, though it didn’t affect me that much, but still, the additional energy, positive feeling, clear headedness, weight loss and looking better is always welcome.
Even typing all that down wasn’t fun. Not in the slightest. Now that I’ve started jogging again, I feel that I’m sort of getting into a routine, and it’s getting fun. Beginning the jog is always tough, and I always get all sorts of resistance from my body, with every cell in my legs and lungs screaming “Noooooo!” but after a while, the screams die down and I can continue jogging.
I found what helps me keep jogging is a few factors:
- Wearing comfortable jogging shoes and shorts. Man, these two things are very important to the jogger. I don’t need designer wear, but a comfortable pair of shoes can get me going very far without my feet giving up on me for fitting-related problems. Sadly, I’ve been having inner thigh burns (eeew) because I’ve gained quite a bit all over, and as the inner thighs rub, there’s been abrasions that’s painful. Longer shorts had resulted in less abrasion and less pain, and I find I’m looking forward to less pain.
- Not wearing a watch. When I’m not wearing a watch, I’m not (un)consciously keeping track of time and telling myself “Okay, I’ve done ___ minutes, that’s enough.” Going without a watch loosens the hold of time over myself and my legs, and I go on without time limits.
- Choosing a different route every time. I make it a point to go differing routes each time I go for a jog. Yes, sooner or later there will be a limited amount of routes I can have, but I try to vary it or mix it such that I can have a “new” jogging route as much as I can. I find that doing so engages me as “an explorer” and I get curious, and as I get curious, I can go further as I’m not “just jogging” – I’m exploring with the means of jogging. Having new or unknown routes also vary my jogging experiences, meaning I don’t get mentally bored so fast, and better still, not knowing the routes often translates to a further distance as I just don’t know where I’ll end up and I’ll just have to jog a little more to find out where I am, and get home from there.
- Sometimes you just have to do it alone. I know, having jogging buddies will keep you accountable and keep you going, but sometimes it’s also good for you to go jogging alone, as your jogging schedule can be jumbled up if you have to wait for another person, or worse, it gets cancelled because the other’s schedule changed at last minute notice.
- Having a back up plan. Eugene gave me a brilliant but evil idea. Evil, but brilliant nonetheless. I hadn’t used it so far, but it’d likely be a very workable idea. If it rains and I decide that I don’t want to run in the rain, I can always do a vertical run instead of a horizontal run. Since I stay in a HDB flat in Singapore, and live on the 14th floor, that’d mean that I can run up and down 14 levels of stair cases, likely to translate to roughly 28 painful flights of stairs. I don’t look forward to that, and I’m pretty sure I’d prefer to run in the rain (good motivator) but hey, it’d work.
I plan to jog/exercise at least 4-5 times each week, and my goal is to get my cholesterol down to healthy limits, bring my weight down to 80+ kg (and eventually 70+ kg), be healthier than I’ve ever been so that I can participate in activities I enjoy.
How about you? How do you keep fit? What’s your health goals and plans to keep fit? Share your thoughts with me in the comments column below.
Table Of Contents
Can’t stand the manifestation…
Passive Income, Busin…
Solo Build It Versus Self-H…
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.