Recently I saw a video by Simon Sinek on leadership, who narrated a story of this a man, a leader who was the speaker at an event. He spoke once before retirement, and once after retirement.
Before retirement, his company sent him in a business class plane. There was a driver waiting for him. And he stayed in a 5- star hotel. And the driver was there everyday. And everyday he has a special cup of coffee brewed for him in a nice mug.
He took economy class plane. There was no one waiting for him to fetch him anywhere – he took public transport. He took public transport to the convention center where he is to speak, and there was no coffee. So he asked where is the coffee, where someone pointed to him the local communal pot of coffee, where he has to get his own plastic disposable cup to pour his own and drink.
He sipped the coffee and smiled to himself.
This story is close to my heart, because recently after fully exiting my earlier company, I took a good 18 months sabbatical to ponder what I was to do next, before being invited into a leadership position at my wife’s physiotherapy and hand therapy company Phoenix Rehab, and I hard to start from scratch all over again.
Which is actually good, happy and exciting for me, just that once in a while, my thoughts and feelings “went back” to my previous leadership life, and how there was almost little to no contact to even ask me how I am. Since December 2017.
Is this me being sorry for myself? I don’t think so. I think it’s me wondering if all the good things I had done by taking care of people, just doesn’t mean jack (and I think that’s why evil people do evil things, cos “the mass don’t know/care anyway”). Especially when people with more money seem to think they can say more shit, despite me actually doing and taking good care of people.
If people then just called me boss and was nice to me only because of my position and title and how I took care of them then, and now since “I’m no one to them”…it’s a tad sad, but oh well.
What I hold onto is that I had already done my best during my chapter and season there, and that is all that matters. As one door closes, another opens. What matters to me is that God loves me, I’ve done the right things, even though it can be unpopular, hard, unseen, uncelebrated, boring and even resisted. The right thing is the right thing, after all – I am excited as God continues to minister to me and speak to me in preparation for His next season for me.
And God, whom I know is so good to me, with good thoughts and plans for me – I know for certain that my next season is better =)
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.