We as parents try to expose little Olivia to different experiences, people, food, culture and life whenever we can, and last weekend, we brought her to an animal farm called Farmart in Choa Chu Kang on 16th July 2016.
As we stay in Sengkang (north east side of Singapore), and Farmart is located in West side of Singapore, a taxi ride was about 30 minutes away, and to “catch” the feeding times of the animals, we were in a cab by around 9.30 am, so that we can reach there by 10.
It’s a pretty nice place, compared to another smallish animal farm that we went to in Sengkang called the Animal Resort, and much more well planned and used to having multiple/crowd. There were pet shops, egg shops, food stalls and much more, but most of the shops open at 11 am, so it was pretty quiet except for a few visitors who also brought their children there. The experience was fairly good at the animal feeding areas, with:
- large catfish in a small pond
- bull frogs
And Olivia was initially scared of feeding the animals, choosing to see from a distance (we knew that she has been more cautious/scared of animals since young), and as I fed the animals, she too gradually developed more courage and confidence to feed the animals (of course I try to pick the safest animals and foods that were long to keep the distance from the animals).
…until I became over-confident that she could feed the parrots kuaci (sunflower seed) – the birds were very gentle with taking the sunflower seed from my hands and all the visitors, so I thought it was ok for her to try…but she dropped the sunflower seed (either because she was scared or by accident) and the parrot either was nasty or tried to catch the seed and snapped at her right index finger.
My heart lurched.
Its hooked beak had pierced skin, and lacerated 10 mm length x 2 mm wide x 0.5 mm depth; and being a specialist hand therapist, my mind started to race:
- was her tendon torn?
- is her joint damaged?
- will it get infected?
Her finger was bleeding, and she was wailing and I was shocked…both at the incident and how stupid my decision was in the first place – the sunflower seed was too small, causing the parrot having to come really close and scaring Olivia to dropping the seed and to the parrot to peck her finger.
It was my fault. 100%.
She cried for about 3 minutes, and then went on to other things, but throughout the day she was a bit more protective of her right index finger, and complaining about it a little (by holding onto it and pointing to it – rightly so too, as it was swollen and red)
And I felt so bad throughout the day, and I was nursing her wound and ensuring that the mobility isn’t affected and nothing more insidious festers (update: no infection, 100% mobility, no guarding of movement or finger which means its good and well used as normal) – but for me as a father, it shook me and my thoughts.
What happened if she had lost her finger?
Or if it got infected?
Or if it got fractured?
Sigh. I thank Jesus that it’s a simple peck and the wound has healed well and Olivia is using her finger as usual. I am very thankful, and I will try to not be so stupid in the future, for my children’s sake.
Table Of Contents
Assets Pay For Lifestyle And…
Happy 36th Birthday To Me
19th June 2018 Xtend Life Affi…
Solo Build It Versus Self-H…
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.