After being bonded twice:
- first time from 2005 – 2007, to serve out a bond that was because of my bursary awarded by a public hospital who provided and paid for the last 2 years of my polytechnic days
- second time from 2015 – 2017, to serve out a bond because of the acquisition of our physiotherapy and rehab business by a larger health company
…I can truly tell you that I really hate being bonded.
Table Of Contents
- 1 BUT TO BE FAIR, IT’S A TWO-WAY STREET.
- 2 THE MAIN REASON WHY I HATE BEING BONDED.
- 3 THE PROBLEMS WITH SHORT TERM THINKING
- 4 BUT IT WONT BE A SUSTAINABLE GROWTH MODEL
- 5 THAT’S THE CRUX OF WHAT ANNOYED ME WHEN I’M BONDED – THAT I LACK THE INFLUENCE AND CONTROL…
- 6 JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
BUT TO BE FAIR, IT’S A TWO-WAY STREET.
- For the 1st bond, because I was bonded, in a sense, I have less financial worries because the hospital provided me enough cash (about $950 per month) for my living expenses, which helped to offset my parents’ financial burden.
And then, I have a job already waiting for me when I graduated.
This forced me to learn the hardship and resilience of being a new grad, with no way out, and I have to learn to improve my clinical skills, social skills, and more.
- For the 2nd bond, I was pre-paid a sum of money that is roughly 2.5 years advance of profits, in return I was to help drive the business during my 3 years. I had a fixed salary, and some interestingly tough and lesser-than-nice environments.
It tough, but looking back, there is a few key benefits, other than learning the darker side of being employed.
THE MAIN REASON WHY I HATE BEING BONDED.
I think the main reason is…I have no choice.
Specific to my recent bond, there is 2 issues:
The #1 main issue is choosing very short term business tactics as opposed to really spending time and effort to understand a business, and adopting a more well-balanced mid-to-long term strategy that encompasses the 80/20 rule and sound business-specific principles. I was stuck in business tactical hell.
#2 is being in a helplessness situation, where I have to face certain people/individuals who aren’t nice, or good, or helpful…and worse, force to do stuff that is against my values – I find it very stressful and painful.
An example is I really dislike giving discounts “just to make sure there is ongoing revenue targets”, especially during quieter months like December. I had explained, EVERY December, patients and therapists are away, so consumption naturally drops; and there is seasonality to therapy businesses, so we dont have to chase sales each time before December or any other known downtime.
Yet, I am pushed to do it because “it’d look better for reporting” and that the higher-ups will be happier with it.
People will be happier when they are lied to…?
And presented with less than accurate data?
That’s just ONE example.
Another example is deciding to milk a system “because we can and others are doing it” – I didn’t like it and had shared verbally and in writing, but in the end, I was still pushed to do it. I recall this very vividly.
There are too many examples, but of course, it can be tempered and said that growing companies will have growing pains, and these are all transient and transitional problems associated with growth.
THE PROBLEMS WITH SHORT TERM THINKING
The main problem with short term thinking is because it creates short term value – stuff that don’t last…because they don’t solve the main problem.
It’s like wanting to build a passive income lifestyle, but do not want want to study how it’s done properly, and buying every single shiny object, and failing again and again and yet not learning from it
Or if a patient has a fracture, and we just paste on a plaster, so it looks like it’s being managed.
That’s the problem with short term thinking. That being said, short term thinking has its benefits, but only when appropriate. An example is very short termed projects, such as throwing a party or gathering, and unless you’re in the business of throwing parties, it shouldn’t be the central way of building and growing your business.
Short term thinking is very tactical and tends to be superficial, which I don’t mind if it’s light or for fun. But if you expect me to grow a business 25% or 50%, I can’t slap on tactics and plaster and pray it’d work.
Maybe a little.
BUT IT WONT BE A SUSTAINABLE GROWTH MODEL
And it’s really frustrating.
I understand the opposite, because long term decision making takes time. Stuff that I recommended, takes 6 months to 18 months to show fruits, and the management above me, cannot wait that long for results, so they want SOME results NOW.
Maybe the best is a combination of 2: 80% on long term and 20% on short and mid term?
But I am very big into long-term, sustainable and scalable business and financial systems – that will and can work without me.
THAT’S THE CRUX OF WHAT ANNOYED ME WHEN I’M BONDED – THAT I LACK THE INFLUENCE AND CONTROL…
…is that true?
That’s what I tell myself, especially because whenever I am bonded, I feel as though that I have no choice, and don’t pushback things I disagree with.
But I think, that’s not true.
Regardless whether I’m bonded or not, I can pushback regardless, and to speak freely.
I am personally growing too, and should I get bonded again, I will pushback and speak freely, instead of suffering in silence and resenting.
NOT. I rather not get bonded anymore lol, cos I just dislike the perception of lack of options and choices, despite developing awareness that I can pushback.
I just don’t like it.
Make Money Online Singap…
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.