Tell me about your life story, describe to me what you’d learnt, what you’ve lived through and experienced…
And how you tell these stories will shape your life and experiences now and in the future.
Table Of Contents
Negative / contamination storytelling bad
Let me give you an example:
For example, if you tend to tell stories about
how difficult your life is
how X person did this to you (stole your credit, took your stuff, made you feel bad)
how everything always goes wrong
how life isn’t fair
This is known as negative storytelling, also known as “Contamination Storytelling”
Contamination stories like its name, these stories causes contamination, weaknesses and disempowerment. Most of the time, people who subscribe to this way of storytelling consciously or unconsciously create and perpetuate more
feelings of powerlessness or
feeling like a victim
It’s a very common way of telling stories…but I want to introduce a different and better way of story telling.
Redemptive storytelling good
It’s the other side of the coin, which is known as “Redemptive Storytelling”, kinda like the balance between good and bad.
People who believe their lives are meaningful, worth something, they tend to tell stories that are filled with hope, growth, learnings (lessons learnt) and love.
Redemptive stories bring about stronger sense of identities and empowerment and they continue to feel that
their lives have purpose and meaning
they have sense of control
No denials or lies needed
Look I don’t believe in lying at all.
Neither is denials good or needed.
We don’t have to lie or “spin”, truths are truths, but we can reframe the way we tell our stories, be it to ourselves or others.
Just by making small tweaks, micro-edits to your personal stories, you can feel very powerful effects on your self of self, purpose and well being.
How to change your inner dialogue for your own good?
I use these words: What I learnt & What I Hope
using the words “What I learnt” makes you take on the hat of a student, where you’re learning and finding lessons in the experience
using the words “What I hope” puts a perspective of hope in the future
So instead of saying, my life is so difficult, you can reframe it very specificly to say:
I learnt to hone and harness patience working in this painful place, and I hope this patience that I learnt becomes a powerful ability when I became a mum / dad / fur parent / entrepreneur etc
Reframe your narrative and stories for a better life experience and mental health
Why I share this is because I know we not only create our own personal histories as we live and experience life forward, BUT we must remember that we have the power and ability to write, rewrite and reframe our life stories to live life with meaning, love and purpose…
…just by choosing what we want to focus on.
Today, I encourage you to choose to fill your stories with hope, growth, lessons and love.
What stories will you tell going forward?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.