If you’re like me and want to retire early, you definitely need to figure out how much you need.
Everyone’s numbers are different depending on where they live, dependents, responsibilities and needs, and I built / created a google-sheet-based calculator for you to crunch some numbers.
Open the calculator in your google sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSS2k_rf1SB1ZLeQXb7Eyn8_zZz5B92zGYR5HCUyK85dG2JKqqQJe7iaFVUcuNm0Qy0I5z3qnc9ehys/pubhtml
How to use this early retirement calculator
It requires you to key into your monthly average expenses across these broad categories
- Rent / mortgage
- Property tax
- Education / Tuition
- Credit card bills
- Car payments
- Loan payments
- Insurance – own / family / health
- Insurance – car
- Insurance – home
- Insurance – dental
- Cable / TV / Streaming
- Utilities – electricity
- Utilities – water
- Utilities – gas
- Public transportation
- Eating out
- Subscriptions (offline & online)
At the end of this list, there will be an auto-computation of:
- Total Average Month Spend
- Add 30% safety net buffer*
- TOTAL AVERAGE MONTHLY SPEND
- TOTAL AVERAGE YEARLY SPEND
This calculator has two buffers as additional safety nets. If you want, you can remove or adjust the additional 30% buffer and x30 multiplier to 25x.
The simplest straightforward approach retire is to
- Find your x30 of your average annual spend
- Cut out as much expense to save and invest as much as possible every month into “safe” dividend-paying index funds
- Reinvest as much returns on investments
- Repeat 1-2-3 until you’ve accumulated your retirement target
When Can You Retire?
Once you know your 25x or 30x, then you can work backwards and calculate how much you need to earn and for how long.
Let’s use my example, say I need $3.2M to retire and I have 10 years, so a simple way to calculate is $3.2M/10 years = I need to save and invest $320K a year for 10 years (without factoring compound interest).
Where To Next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to Homepage of nigelchua.com
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to the products and services I use to improve business, relationships, health and more.
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.