Starts with asking oneself better questions. Over the span of a couple of years spent working in the corporate sector and the last four years working in the private and entrepreneurial sector of physiotherapy and hand therapy, I’ve come across a fair number of associates, friends, relatives and families whom I observe in their antics and behaviors as I mingle and spend time with them, be it through therapy sessions, or simply social settings. I try to not judge them, but what I’m actually more intrigued with is what they actually do compared to what they say.
Maybe it’s because I’m getting older – I recently read a statement somewhere that “over time, we don’t just listen to what people say they do, we observe to see what they do.”
And I find it intriguing that a number of people who love to complain, are the same number of people who don’t really get ahead in the area that they are looking and hoping to get ahead in. An example is a friend who wishes to have and earn more money, but several times a week, he spends anything from $40 – $100 on a meal – several times a week. Now here, I’m not against spending money on a good meal, with friends; and it’s not just about the fact that he earns about $2500 (so imagine he blows about $120 – $300 PER WEEK, about $480 – $1200 PER MONTH) on a few “special meals” in a week. A
No wonder he can’t get ahead in his finances.
When I was curious and asked him, he said that “it’s because he works hard, and he should reward himself” or “just because” or “ha…everyone is eating there already…I’m too embarrassed to say no just because I want to save money.”
I mean, why not? Just because “I’ve worked hard” doesn’t often equate to myself “treating myself extra well by splurging on food” if it knocks a few points back in my financial goal and plan. “Just because” is not in my dictionary, and I am not easily embarrassed just because “everyone is there already.” If it’s against my financial plan, I’ll seek to keep to my plan. If I need to spend less, then I’ll just get a soup, and drink water.
Why do that? To that, I’ll reply that my goals are more important than social situations where mere embarrassment are not as important to me. For me, not keeping on track financially just because of social situations is embarrassing.
In fact, during one of the guys’ gathering, one of the guys called me “weak” simply because I ordered lesser stuff so that I wont spend so much in a restaurant. He even had a smug look on his face to complete the entire “I’m greater than you” effect. In the beginning, it actually bothered me a little, not because he said it, but more because I wondered to myself if I was holding back too much? Later I realized that I’m on a journey, and this journey has certain criteria that I need to be strict on, and doesn’t matter who I meet along the way, I need to be consistent still on my criteria to enable to reach my end destination and goal.
Of course, to a certain extent, there is a huge element of sacrifice that I will tolerate, such as financial discipline, taking time to learn and practice on this journey of financial freedom, personal development of saying “no” to things and people that are not as important as they seem and life…plus, the extra bonus that in years to come, this moment of “weakness” to him, will be one of the traits that will propel us to greater levels of personal development, financial freedom and independence…and he’ll still be where he is.
Louise, my lovely wife, thinks it’s just because I’m highly opinionated. Or maybe because I’m just stubborn. What do you think?
Table Of Contents
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- If you’re new here, do subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- If you’d like to ask me any questions, head to the Questions/Ask Nigel section
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.