Since 2010, i mandated a ‘blame & fix processes only’ (ie dont blame people for mistakes) and this has helped improve productivity and revenue. I think its because it made people feel safe(r) to learn from mistakes and spend more time on actual business activities. Here’s what i learnt.
I have an employee who is so fearful whenever she makes a mistakethat she would either avoid answering or try to cover it up. I would ask her “what happened here?” or “this doesnt add up” whenever she lies to cover her tracks
and the funny thing is, the more she is fearful about making mistakes, the more mistakes she makes because she’s trying to avoid mistakes.
In fact, it took me more than 30-40 conversations with me telling her im okay with mistakes, just fix the process and the issues. Finally one day, the breakthrough came.
She started to realize that I am NOT baiting her or putting traps out to catch…and after a few weeks, when we found an error, she told “sorry i missed it”
And i said, okay, just fix it and we’ll look at the processes to help improve productivity and prevent errors
She was surprised when i said and did that.
I reassured her that i mean what i say, and say what i mean. She shared that in her previous employments, she had been terribly terribly scolded. So that’s why she tries to avoid and hide it now. Basically she is saying “she’s afraid of making mistakes” and it’s very clear to me.
i totally get it, i’ve seen such environments before and it’s not a productive working environment because people are spending energy, effort and time to NOT make mistakes and when they make mistakes they’re spending more time to hide it or throw someone else under the business who will then defend themselves
Do you see this ridiculous waste of time?
If you ever catch yourself or someone doing this, be direct with them and own your mistakes. Learn from them and move on.
Owning a mistake takes less than a minute, which you can then go on to do more productive things, rather than worry and be fearful.
Thats why i prefer to focus on fixing the processes, and creating a process-driven culture, when the process is right, the outcomes will be right.
Bonus story: this can be applied to any goals you want too, rather than work mistakes
An example, i personally know people who said that THEY are not rich because their parents didnt save money, invest or have a business.
So i know these people want to be rich. Funny thing is that i dont see them going out to learn how to earn more or invest more – the last 10 years i know them, they’re still going on how their parents didnt leave a lump sum of money for them…
Fix the process.
With this example, if one wants to have more money, then you have to study how to have more money. It may include learning a new high paying skill, starting a business, investing etc etc
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
I love good success and freedom and learned early in life on importance of making more and entrepreneurship. Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, as well as building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
I help motivate and/or bring clarity to people as to building their lives based on what matters most to them – this could be earning more with entrepreneurship or a side hustle; or scaling back their expenses (or kill their mindless spending and keeping up with the Joneses’); improving communications, relationships, problem-solving and other growth-related matters.
All for one main purpose: to help readers become happier by build their lives according to what matters most to them.
Where To Next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to the Start Here it’s created to be my good success and life thesis, so it’s very content heavy (Read: lots of words and links to resources, write ups and videos). It’s constantly updated too with new data and updates as often as I can.
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to see the curated products and services I use / have used to improve different aspects of my life be it business, relationships, health and more. Note: recommendations in nigelchua.com may be affiliate links, which means I may get paid if you choose to buy through my affiliate link.
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.