So it was a sudden and shocking update to me in the crypto.com subreddit where fellow users started to complain about the buried, unannounced new crypto.com crypto earn terms.
I searched around and found the update here: https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/2996965-crypto-earn-how-does-it-work
Table Of Contents
In a nutshell, a few big changes
- The changes affects everyone, regardless you’re a “whale” obsidian or a beginner.
- New terms:
- New rates of few increases in % namely BTC, ETH, SOL, DOT, AVAX, MATIC.
- Most of the damage is to stable coins where rate decreased from 12% pa to 10% pa.
- Everyone’s maximum earn is decreased to first $30K will get full rates; anything above $30K is half rates (It is 2b that is the killing blow to stable coin staking.)
This in essence, is very shocking to higher-tier cardholders such as the Icy White / Rose Gold and the Obsidian, both of which previously had crypto earn limits of USD 1M and USD 2M respectively.
Of course people are upset, because the way it was done was unfortunately nonchalant and seems “a little hiding” because they were expecting backlash.
…though frankly I believe most of us who were with crypto.com from beginning knows its a business and will operate like one, but at leastconsider tier it up man, say use these earn tier limits
- Obsidian $2M >> $1M
- Icy White / Rose Gold $1M >> $500K
- Royal Indigo / Jade Green $50K
- Ruby Steel $30K
- Midnight Blue $5K
Does this change anything?
Say CDC refuses to budge and change:
- I feel that this will cause a short term dip as people who are upset as well as those who needs the cashflow will either sell their CRO to stable coins and move it to other places that offer better yield. There are some out there, google search (others had mentioned)
- This affects crypto.com EARN but NOT stake. Staking for Icy and above still gets 12% pa for CRO card staking. So it’s possibly that some may double down on CRO staking (especially those who are bullish on CRO, cronos and crypto.com), leading to a more stable CRO network as a whole in the mid to short term
- Icy and above still gets additional 2% in CRO on top of the half eg 5% + 2%; so some may just eat the difference. Again, I prefer CDC to revise the limits instead according to different card tiers.
- It’s possible that new users get more love and CDC attracts more new users too…
On the other hand, if they decide to introduce a better and tiered reward system according to card level, I will be super grateful.
What will I be doing?
I am unlikely to hunt for yield in other platforms. I will likely
- Double down in CRO staking to maximize the 12% CRO stake returns (this strategy relies on CRO being stable and growing and/or
- Withdraw portion to fiat to pay in part for my home purchase and/or
- Continue to stake stable coins but also sell my weekly CRO stake returns to supplement my cashflow
Again, this is not financial advice – I am sharing with you the most recent crypto.com changes to their crypto earn, how it’s affecting my passive income cashflow, my take on how it could have been done better and what I am thinking of doing.
Thank you for watching Crypto com Cuts Crypto Earn Passive Income
+ + +
- Videos: https://nigelchua.com/youtube
- Telegram Podcast: https://t.me/+APAreIgHbywxZDg1
- Website: https://nigelchua.com/
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, plus building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
Nowadays I share and teach entrepreneurship, financial independence, retiring early as well as building and living a life you love.
Where To Next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to Homepage of nigelchua.com
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos. You can see all / my entire list of previous articles here: Archive
- Head over my Resources page to the products and services I use to improve business, relationships, health and more.
- Contact me if you like to thank me for helping you in some way (please, always tell me – it’s such emails that I truly look forward to), interview me, ask me to try a product, or media inquiries.
- If you like my work and want to support me / my cause by giving a tip / donation or choose to buy stuff at my products and tool page – thank you for your support. You keep me going.