I shared earlier on two articles
- Why I will never tell my kids if we have money or not
- Why I want my kids to earn their own keep – because it’s meaningful
Today I want to add on it.
What happened to me was that in 2002-2005, I:
- Sought my polytechnic education in Singapore. Together with some friends, I went to research and apply on my own during that time, what courses and work that I may be interested in, eventually settling in on occupational therapy.
- My parents had to pay for my monthly financial needs, which included rent, books, food, stationery, tuition fees (school), and whatever I needed to be able to focus on school and graduating.
- In the first year of study in 2002, I approached more than 12+ health institutions to get a bursary (where I get a monthly stipend which in turn, I get bonded to institution), and I finally secured one in mid 2002 which provided about $900 per month for 2 years, in return for a 3 year bond. This helped offset my parents financial burden for the monthly living expenses, but they continued to pay my tuition fees (about SGD 6000 per year for 3 years)
Having earned my own bursaries and monthly money, which led me to learn how to live within what I have, as well as having moved out to live on my own since I was 20 years old, quickly taught me how to survive.
No one else was responsible for my rent, food, mobile, internet, health, grades, relationships, use of time – BUT ME.
Naturally, this made me grow up and mature very, very quickly, that if I should live or die, pass or fail, grow or not – falls 100% on me. And I’ve no one else to blame. And when there’s no one I can rely on in Singapore, I really had to be independent.
This is what I am saying I want my kids to achieve: full independence and maturity, and better still, become rich by adding good value to the world. (And as Christians, to find Christ and bring glory to His name).
Of course, in addition to that experience, because we also took the path of hustling and entrepreneurship, with a lot of extreme experiences where:
- we got cheated by people who didn’t honour their words
- learning to handle cash flow, money and promises
- learning to handle weird patients and people
- our business getting acquired and subsequently handling the buyers and the employees post acquisition
- and more
All these together, formed and solidified our ideas and values, and more than ever, we are deepening our value of wanting to earn our own keep and being entrepreneurs. Life as employees isn’t aligned with who we are, what we want and where we want to go.
I think I will continue my focus on being the Mean Dad so that the kids will grow up well.
Table Of Contents
JOIN ME IN INTUITIVE, LOVING, GENTLE AND GOOD SUCCESS AND SELF MASTERY THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. NO HYPE. NO BULLSHIT.
Hang around here for some time, you’d see that I don’t well with hype or bullshit. I can smell that typically a mile away, and I hate that shit too.
I’ve been working on myself and on NigelChua.com for years, since 2006, and only in late 2019, I started to focus on intuitive and loving leadership, entreprenership and personal development.
Here are some areas that I work on a consistent, ongoing basis.
See the Tools & Resources I use to improve my life, businesses, health, build passive income and more.
The core topics I cover in NigelChua.com is:
- Eternal life and salvation: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth & the Life
- Fix your health: get healthier, live longer, run faster, more energy, fuck more
- Passive Income Lifestyle: Become financially secure by building assets that provides multiple streams of passive income that’s more than your living expenses
- Personal Loving Relationships: Attract, build and grow relationships you love
- Philanthropy: giving to the poor and needy
- Philosophy: Conscious, purposeful and positive living
- Productivity: How to become more efficient and productive in important things. Mastering them causes you take less them whilst increasing productivity.
- Insure yourself and your loved ones (Health insurance is important)
- Add-on Adventures: Become rich and wealthy
- Add-on Adventures: Build businesses that add positive value to your society and life
- Success Principles
Take action TODAY: One year from today, you’ll be one year older. What would you have done by then?
I’m the founder and writer here at NigelChua.com; as well as serial entrepreneur, therapy business entrepreneur, digital entrepreneur, investor and also happy husband, father and Christian.
Started and sold off a business for 7-figures; built another 7-figure one and growing it further, plus building/investing into other businesses and investments as well as advisory works.
Nowadays I share and teach entrepreneurship, financial independence, retiring early as well as building and living a life you love.
Where To Next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter – no spam and just my best stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Go to Homepage of nigelchua.com
- If you like videos, head to All Videos – all the latest (and all) videos are uploaded there.
- Visit the Blog to read the latest articles and videos.
- Head over my Resources page to the products and services I use to improve business, relationships, health and more.
- I recommend everyone to learn to start an online business for so many reasons: low cost, valuable skill (marketing), potential for passive income, it works 24/7 for you and no income ceiling. There's a free membership at this platform which I'd been part of since 2015 and it's where I learnt how to earn my first $100 online. See you on the inside.